Thursday, April 1, 2010

Rehab... not Vegas style, Wallacedene Township, and how to remove feathers from a chicken

Yesterday was the most difficult day I have encountered on my trip thus far. I went with the angels from the YMCA to a drug rehabilitation program for youth. They go every Wednesday to work with these children. Four medical students took part in this as part of their rotations. This center is located only about 30 minutes from Cape Town city center. It's the only center that has a special place for the teens. Across the road is the adult center. The government is thinking about closing this facility, leaving no options for the young people but to fall farther into the CRYSTAL METH trap and eventually end up as an adult at the center, jail or dead*. (*this is my own speculation)

Usually the sessions are co-ed. This session they had 18 girls, ages 13-17. A few of the girls were so tiny, I wanted to scoop them up and put them in my pocket. The girls were all beautifully different shades of brown with different texture of hair and unique features, but all of them had a had a heavy sadness in their eyes.

The day started with introductions and where the girls were from. We played a few name association games and the girls were starting to warm up to the group. After a few more activities the YMCA leaders helped the girls build boundaries and rules for their five week stay. The next activity brought me to tears. All of the YMCA leaders got into a circle and told the girls they were bringing in a blanket (imaginary blanket) and the girls could throw their problems and what they don't want to be like in the blanket and when they were done they would take the blanket away along with what the girls put into the blanket. They could say it out loud or to themselves. A few girls slowly "tossed" a few things in the blanket. Some of the staff and med students tossed in their worries too. As the activity progressed, more and more of the girls got involved. One of the girls who seemed hard and closed off started crying. As the activity ended the leaders took the blanket out of the room, the leaders and the girls stood in a circle, held hands and prayed. After this moment I have no idea what compelled me but I went to the little girl who was crying and gave her a big bear hug and told her that she was going to do good things, she was beautiful and special. I hugged, she held on tighter. I held it together on the outside for this little one but inside I was a big hot mess. My heart was breaking for each of these girls and what they are up against.

Next was lunch. I was allowed to walk around the property and take pictures. Because of confidentiality I can't show any of the girls or the rehab name.

After lunch I ran my first TeachAIDS session. With a few minor technical difficulties (I forgot one of the cords to the projector - luckily the center had one but the sound was not loud enough. I will be buying speakers today) the session went well. The YMCA staff asked me to share my story with the girls. I shared with them about how I went from being abandoned to where I am today. We watched the TeachAIDS CD, and I had a question and answer session. I asked the girls... Did you like it? Did you learn anything new? What do you think? and a few other questions. The girls raised their hands to answer my questions.

These were some of their answers:
"Yes I liked the video, I learned a lot"
"I learned you can not get AIDS from touching some one"
"I did not know that a baby can get HIV from the mothers milk"
"I learned that it does not matter where you're from - anyone can get HIV"
"I did not know there was no cure for HIV"
"I learned that you should never share needles; you can get HIV from this"

This opened up to an open forum. Some of the YMCA leaders asked the girls if they knew their HIV status. Most didn't know. We discussed abstinence and condom use, how many of the girls have been sexually active, that it's OK to say NO. I ended the session with my own version of a pep talk for the girls. I shared with them that they are all very special and will be able to achieve anything they want to if they put their mind to it. They can and should be good to themselves because they are worth it. They are all beautiful and unique. They CAN be good to their bodies and good to themselves. They deserve to be loved and to respect themselves. After I got off my soap box the girls asked if I was coming next week. I sadly had to tell them I would be in another part of their country but would be thinking about them. One by one the girls came up to each of the YMCA leaders and myself and gave us big hugs and kisses. I kept reminding them that they can do good things.

So what I struggled with and still am is after we left I learned that when these girls get done with the rehab session, the likelihood of them succeeding and not coming back is slim. These girls may or may not have parents who are alive. Most of them have been physically, mentally and/or sexually abused and live below poverty level.... where do you go with this?

All 8 of us piled into the YMCA van so I could see a local Township. We went to Wallacedence Township. All the little "homes" are row after row in this area. There is no plumbing. About every block there is a "Slum Dog Millionaire" style outhouse. A few stores are in the "MAERSK" shipping containers, hair salon included.

The block's outhouse

One of the Chateau de Wallacedene

Could I be more Asian??? I'm in a van rolling through the township with my camera at the window on rapid fire mode.....I'm embracing my roots...

On the last block we saw a woman burning the feathers off chickens in a big pot of fire.... the price was 50 Rand.. this is about $7.14 a chicken. Have a mentioned that the number of Kentucky Fried Chicken's way out number McDonald's in Cape Town? I was surprised, too ... and no, I haven't been to either.

2 comments:

Jane said...

Awww...B, you're gonna make me cry.

Embrace your Asian-ness and keep those pictures coming. They're fantastic!

MikeW said...

having fun following your posts. sounds like you're doing great work over there. praying for you.