Monday, February 22, 2010

"Hanging up my Manolo Blahnik's for humanitarian service"

2009 was a difficult but beautiful year.

In October I volunteered and applied to leave my company after almost 7 years. My company was reorganizing a different division and offered a package to anyone in the company who wanted to apply. I applied and was accepted in November.

During the waiting period I had been listening to the very loud voice in my heart that was telling me I need to do something bigger than myself. With that I decided to dedicate 2010 to volunteering somewhere in the world. I didn't care where or what I would be doing. I just wanted to do something and give back.

When I started telling people about my "crazy" idea about leaving a lucrative career and work for free in some random third world country, I thought people would think I was crazy.... My incredible family and friends have been so supportive it almost brings me to tears. It does make me laugh when they ask me if I'm going to peruse this humanitarian service in 4 inch stilettos.

Part of this new adventure is spawned from the example that my family has instilled in me. You are placed in this world to help the less fortunate. Looking back 35 years ago, I was the one that was less fortunate and left at a police station in Taegu, South Korea. I was adopted by an amazing American family that has given me every opportunity to succeed and be the best person I can be.

6 comments:

Wendy said...

i discovered your blog! and waiting for more updates about shoes and travels and perhaps bfs! :) HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!

TheFirstNoel said...

Love it:) LOVE YOU! Can't wait to read more!

Unknown said...

Bethany,

You absolutely rock! I look forward to hearing about your adventures and boarding with you when you get back. Stay healthy!

Eardie

bonnieb said...

Thank you so much for this great beginning! I can't wait to read more. On the edge of my seat with excitement as the story unfolds. love you.

jennie said...

Yea! I'm so glad for the blog.

MikeW said...

You have a proud big brother! love you!