Sunday, February 28, 2010

Benefiting from a benefit...

In December I had attended a benefit lunch for an incredible non-profit. One World Children's Fund (OWCF). I was introduced before hand to Anand Chandrasekaran via email by Jamie Lockwood and was invited to sit at his table. I met Anand, Piya Sorcar of Teach Aids, Marie Kagaju Laugharn of Seeds of Empowerment as well as many other wonderful people. I also got to catch up with Janet and Wylie Gregg about their latest trip to India and what amazing things OWCF are doing all over the world as well in our own back yard.

Marie is from Rwanda and is a really special woman. She invited me to lunch at her house to discuss volunteer opportunities in Rwanda. As we discussed these various opportunities she wanted to introduce me to Dr. Paul Kim from Stanford University.

A week or so later I went to have lunch at Stanford with Dr. Kim. What a treat! We discussed what Seeds of Empowerment is doing all over the world. Seed's missions statement: "The Seeds of Empowerment team intends to develop and implement projects that will “plant seeds of hope and opportunity” for the underserved around the world. Our projects use cutting-edge technology to create self-sustaining business models that empower the powerless by improving their access to an education"

After a fantastic meeting with Dr. Kim I was welcomed with open arms and enthusiasm by the whole "Seeds" team. I knew I found the right organization to work with this year and beyond. Meeting with Neha Taleja the Executive Director of "Seeds" solidified this and the wheels started turning about what exciting adventures were starting starting to appear on the horizon.

1 comment:

oak said...

You are an inspiration for all! Cant wait to hear about all the amazing things!

T&O