Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The process starts

So after my big life decision to volunteer, the next question is was where to volunteer? The world was my oyster or so I thought. I thought to myself "I'm well-educated, have 13 years of business savvy, journalism background, know how to install a toilet, have totally reinstalled a PVC pipe sprinkler system by myself and it worked(my dumb friend fell on it and our other friend's father was not too pleased), I know how to install snow chains with a suit on while wearing high Dolce & Gabbana stilettos, I can think on my feet and I'm well traveled". How hard could it be to find the volunteer position?

I naively thought I will have my dream position in no time.... yea right. I applied to the UN volunteers and many other fantastic organizations. Unfortunately with some of these organizations you need to "know" someone or speak multiple languages. Seeing that English is my primary language and my knowledge of Spanish, French and Italian are equal to a 5 year old, this was problematic.

I started a mad dash to network to learn all that I can learn about non-profits all over the world. Yahoo and I became best friends.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Hooray for blogging! Can't wait to hear about all your adventures, Bethany.

Sophie said...

I admire you more so much! Looking forward to hearing how things turn out for you...