Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Countdown begins...

In 11 days I will be heading off to my first of hopefully many trips abroad. I'll be representing "Seeds of Empowerment"(SOE) and "TeachAIDS".

I'm so excited I can barely get my thoughts together to start packing! I am ahead of the curve: I've had all my vaccinations and other logistics taken care of except for the anti-malaria medications. Not super excited about these - I've heard they cause funny dreams. Just perfect for someone that doesn't sleep well to begin with.

After 24 hours in the air not including my eight hour layover in London (maybe I'll go visit Harry Potter), my first stop is in Cape Town, South Africa. My second stop is in Durban, South Africa. I will be running story telling workshops, networking with local non-government organizations, solidifying existing relationships for both of my groups, and meeting with some incredible people. My third stop will be a long journey to Kigali, Rwanda. I will be interviewing the women that SOE empowers through micro-finance projects. These incredible women are genocide survivors and HIV positive.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

You are amazing Bethy! Be safe!

Chelsea said...

hi bethany! SOO cool and so very admirable! will you still be there for the world cup? i have friends who are thinking of going up there! are you planning on finding surf? take care of yourself!