Thursday, April 8, 2010

Bunny Chow…. No I didn’t eat grass or the Easter bunny….

I usually wouldn’t include someone else’s writing in my blog but Pastor Bobby explained the delicious world of Bunny Chow so why rewrite it?

DURBAN’S FAVOURITE LOCAL INDIAN DISH

The word Bunny Chow is derived from two words - Bunny (relating to Bania or Gujarati speaking people) and Chow (South African Slang for Food).

Bunny chow is a slang term for an Indian South African fast food consisting of bread made of I/4 loaf or ½ loaf or a full loaf of bread with the inside scooped out, and filled with curry.

Durban is noted for its Bunny Chow.

The Bunny Chow (or Bunny) should always be eaten with the fingers (No fork and knife) starting with the lump of bread, or virgin, on top.

Bunny Chow was created in Durban, during the 1940s, where the largest population of Indians in the world outside of India lives.

I had my first Bunny Chow on Friday 9th April 2010 in Durban.”


No comments: